- P.O. Box 98901
- Lincoln, NE 68509-8901 - US
- $45,250,114Transfers to Beneficiaries
Lottery Impact on the Economy
- In Nebraska, 1,222 retailers generated $183,368,092 in gross sales.
- This economic activity generated $45,250,114 in transfers to beneficiaries.
- $0 was awarded to players in prizes.
History of Nebraska Lottery
In November 1992, 63 percent of Nebraska voters approved a constitutional amendment authorizing a state lottery. Legislation creating the Nebraska Lottery was passed in February 1993, and ticket sales began on September 11 of that year. The first game was Nebraska Match 3, a $1 scratch ticket.
Powerball was the Lottery’s first draw game, with sales beginning in July 1994. It was immediate success, boosted by having a local jackpot winner just nine days after launch.
The original enabling legislation divided Lottery proceeds between the Education Innovation Fund, the Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund and the Compulsive Gamblers Assistance Fund.
In 2004, voters approved an amendment that established a new distribution formula for lottery beneficiaries:
- Education, 44.5 percent, as directed by the legislature; currently allocated between the Education Innovation Fund and the Nebraska Opportunity Grand Fund.
- Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund, 44.5 percent.
- Nebraska State Fair, 10 percent.
- Compulsive Gamblers Assistance Fund, one percent, plus the first $500,000 in fund proceeds each fiscal year.